Children and Young People Training
CYP – Post Qualifying Diploma in Integrative & TA Psychotherapy
Ellesmere Counselling and Psychotherapy Training Ltd (ECPT) based in Hull is a psychotherapy and training centre providing an integrative, humanistic approach of transactional analysis and other related modalities.
We believe working therapeutically with children and young people (CYP) requires a different skill set compared to working with adults because the developmental stage and life experiences of CYP differ from those of adults. We are pleased to offer a bespoke two-year part-time Post Qualifying diploma for therapists with counselling training/experience who wish to deepen their skills and knowledge and acquire a formal award. This training will provide the specialised training and understanding to work to a deeper level in child and adolescent development, trauma, attachment and family dynamics. This could include individuals working in the fields of mental health, psychology, counselling, social work, and education, among others.
All training will be within an integrative transactional analysis framework working to UKCP and BACP standards and NCS Competency Framework for Working with Children and Young People.
The year runs from January to December (no training August) with an option to join at other times of the year as interest for places grow.
- Diploma in Integrative & TA Psychotherapeutic Counselling (level 6)/Psychotherapy (level 7) or equivalent (meeting criteria, like for like) depending on whether your interest is the psychotherapeutic counselling or psychotherapy route. This includes the hourly requirements of clinical practice, therapy and supervision required.
- Reflective piece on your identity as a therapist and of your clinical practice.
- Completion of an APL application to create individual learning plan.
We welcome APL applications demonstrating prior learning or experience. Up to 50% can be considered towards meeting the entry requirements, hourly requirements and/or meeting competencies for Working with Children and Young People. All APL requests will be measured against NCS competency framework for working with Children and Young People.
- 300 student taught hours
- 300 CYP clinical practice hours (minimum 450 hours required to apply to register/for accreditation).
- CYP Mental Health Placement – 60 hours
- Infants’ observation – over 2 years
- Ongoing Supervision and personal therapy throughout training with UKCP registered or equivalent supervisor/therapist.
CYP Course Content
Individual Learning Portfolio including individual learning plan – bespoke, co-creative
Training hours – 300 student taught (150 each year) made up of:
- 6 training Days – using creative methods and theoretical models (face to face)
- 3-day training weekend (face to face)
- Monthly Infant Observation Group (online)
- Monthly Clinical Working Group (face to face or online depending on requirements of the group).
- Tutorials/group working 16 hours (face to face or online decided by group)
6 Training days will be delivered face to face covering a range of topics using creative methods and theoretical models. Grounding you in ethical and professional practice as well as exploring your identity as a child therapist and developing skills in more depth, including working with symbols, objects, play techniques and nature in the counselling process.
- Theory Day content:
- Object Relations Theory
- Symbols and the unconscious process
- Family Systems – constellations
- Diversity and Gender Identity
- Loss and Grief
- Sand Play Therapy/Storytelling
- Mental Health Conditions
- Developmental Trauma/Neuroscience
- Role of Medication in the treatment of CYP
- Birth and Pre-birth, how these imprints in our physiology and psychology.
- Ethical and Professional Practice
- Modalities covered:
- Transactional Analysis
- Personal Construct Psychotherapy
- Play Therapy
- Person Centred
- Pre and Perinatal Psychology
- 3 Day training weekend (face to face)
- Oral Assessments with formal feedback from tutor
- Group work including process and reflections.
Infant Observation – this can be attended and booked as a standalone course as well as being an integral component of our Post Qualifying Diploma. 33 hours in total per year. Equates to 3-hour sessions over 11 discussion groups per year.
Observation studies are a critical component of child psychotherapy training. The infant observation element of this course enables those wishing to work with CYP gain a greater understanding of a baby’s early life and relationships and how they develop.
- Infant observation course requirements:
- Finding a baby to observe and the observations themselves
- Commit to hourly requirements of the course
- Writing observation notes
- Reading of associated articles and papers suggested by facilitator
- Attend online and actively participate in discussion groups
- A final written assignment based on the participants infant observation
Clinical Working Group
The group meets online for 3 hours a month to discuss observed elements of the working environment. A primary focus of the discussion group is to discover through experiencing. The Group is facilitated and held by a tutor. Each group member will present on observation report for discussion on a rotational basis. The observation can be from the working environment with children and young people or from within a therapeutic relationship with a child or young person. A further focus of the group will be in the unconscious factors in understanding the nature of the work you do.
Both written and oral assessments, including discussion of clinical work, process, presentations, written reflective piece and an essay (research and reflective components to meet level 6 and 7 academic levels are encouraged).
Details of all training requirements are available in the Course Handbook that will be emailed to students following registration and prior to start of course.
Accreditation – NCS
Ellesmere Counselling and Psychotherapy Training is a UKCP accredited training organisation for Adult Psychotherapeutic Counselling and Adult Psychotherapy Training, delivering Diploma to accreditation level. Since 2011, we have an established programme of courses for working therapeutically with children and young people.
We now wish to seek Advanced Specialist Status Working with CYP with an aim to also apply for Course Accreditation for our CYP Diploma Training Course in due course. We will keep students informed as to our progress through any application and assessment process with the professional bodies. In the meantime, the course will meet criteria as set by UKCP Standards for work with Children and Young People as well as NCS Competency Framework for Working with Children and Young People. Following post qualifying training individuals may choose to apply to join NCS CYP Therapist Register. If this route is of interest applicants are required to be a member on NCS Accredited Register as a Counsellor/Psychotherapist. This demonstrates individuals have completed initial counselling training sufficient for entry on to NCS general counselling register. Membership costs to a professional body are paid directly to them and separate to being a member of ECPT.
How to apply for a place:
Please apply online using the form below. Once you have submitted the form, we will be in touch for further information.
If you would prefer a paper based or Word based application form, email us firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like us to consider previous study, clinical hours, and/or therapy hours as part of your application, please visit our APL policy and download and complete an APL application form. You will upload this as part of your application below
Course fee are £2,394 (£1,995 + VAT) per year (these are reviewed annually).
Additional costs to consider are: Personal Therapy and Supervision to meet the hourly requirements of the qualification and registration. Other costs to consider are annual insurance, DBS, professional membership fees and CPD workshops that may be of interest but separate from the course.