AN INTEGRATIVE APPROACH TO WORKING WITH TRAUMA
Both sides of the Relationship
26th March 2019 – £80
“Trauma is a psychophysical experience, even when the traumatic event causes no direct bodily harm.” – Rothschild
It is my belief that trauma lies at the heart of most psychological distress. Trauma affects both the mind and body, resulting in symptoms that continue long after the event has ended. How we experience a traumatic experience can be seen in the hypervigilance, hyperarousal, avoidance and often self-destructive behaviours common to traumatised individuals.
Fundamental in our work as practitioners, is our awareness of vicarious traumatization; ‘Burnout’ and ‘Compassion Fatigue.’ Empathic engagement with emotive narrative can leave us physically and emotionally drained besides professionally ineffective. It is vital therefore that practitioners understand the impact of the ‘trauma relationship’ as well as the need for self care.
The aims of this workshop are:
- To define trauma
- To gain a better understanding of PTSD, Burnout & Compassion Fatigue
- To explore the psychobiology of trauma using a neuropsychological model
- To explore individual predictors using developmental and attachment theory
- To consider the impact of ‘negative self talk’ using Transactional Analysis
- To consider the role of love, safety and fear in post traumatic growth
- To consider a framework for treatment
- To explore self-care using the ENGAGE model
- Feedback and discussion
The workshop will comprise of didactic tuition, discussion, case examples and some experiential learning.
Nicole Addis is a UKCP registered psychotherapist with extensive clinical experience in both NHS and private settings. Nicole has several years’ experience teaching this and other topics and currently delivers this training to individuals, organisations and mental health professionals up and down the country. She believes that everyone can benefit from understanding trauma and the potential for recovery.
Explore and learn in a warm, collaborative, informative setting and discover a renewed energy for yourself, your work and your team.
To book a place please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a booking form.